Prof. Gabriella Dall’Olio
Journal Articles:No data
Other Scholarly outputs
- No data provided
- Other CD recordings (selected) Tema y Variaciones by Joaquin Turina, Claves Records. CD50 9215; Recital for Harp, works by Handel, Rossini, Spohr, Parish-Alvars, Fauré,Claves Records CD50 9301; Donatoni, Music by the composer, with Gruppo Musica Insieme di Cremona. Stradivarius STR 33315; Jean Francaix, music by the composer, with Kontraste. BR and Ambitus AMB 97 914; Wandering Winds, flute and harp work with Wissam Boustany. Dal Segno Records; Chamber Music Works by C. Marek. Koch Records 3-6577-2; Harp Concerto by Hector Villa-Lobos with Foundation Philharmonic Orchestra. Arts Council of England; Solo for Harp, works by Bach, Hindemith, Roussel, Britten. Claves Records CD50 9902; Concertino, by G. Tailleferre. Foundation Philharmonic Orchestra CD DCA 1126; Legends of Rotorua, Music by Paul Lewis and Horomona. Solo, flute and harp, chamber music Atoll ACD 814; Since it was the day of Preparation; J.McMillan with Hebrides Ensemble Delphian DCD34 168; Spirit of Ireland.Music by O.Carolan, G. Knowles, M.Taylor KPM 407; Persian Echoes, Music by A.Mayar Tafreshipour, Concerto for harp and Orchestra, English Chamber Orchestra, Lucid Dream (vl,vc,hp) and Yearning in C with Crash Ensemble Naxos 8.579023; Harpscapes solo harp music by Paul Lewis. Harp Gabriella Dall’Olio EMRCD048 Autumn 2018: Arturo Marquez Harp Concerto and Dibujos Sobre un Puerto for tenor and harp Toccata Next TOCN0001, Eclogue, British Chamber Music, SommCD, 0653 in preparation: A day in the Life of John Marson, Da Vinci Records
- Other Panel in international competitions: Member of jury in international competitions: BBC Young Musician of the Year, UK 2010 In UK: North London Competition 2004, 2009, Reigate Music Festival, Croydon Music Festival, Bromley Music Festival 2004, 2008, 2010 Concorso Nazionale di Tortona, Italy 1989 Arpaplus, (Zaragoza, 2012 Murcia 2015, Sevilla 2018) Spain Chamber Music Competition Madrid, Spain. 2016 Concours International F.Godefroid, Belgium 2012 Suoni D’Arpa International Competition, Italy 2013,2014
- Other PUBLICATIONS AND ARTICLES UKHA magazine autumn 2008: On Memory: About how memorisation works and how it affects musicians. UKHA magazine spring 2014: An Analysis and performance practice of the Hindemith Sonata (Also published online by Spanish Harp Association and Italian Harp Association) UKHA magazine autumn 2016: Work less for More! About the need to keep fees high amongst musicians to avoid undercutting each other. UKHA 2018 reflections on Spohr Fantasy for harp. Collaborations: first (critical) edition of the Sonatina by Alberto Ginastera, Worked along with Boosey & Hawkes and the Paul Sacher Stiftung: a project instigated by myself. UKHA 2019 On competitions and adjudicating (Harp Column Alex Rider, on sound) 2021 To come: (AIH, on Pierre Jamet) (UKHA, on Ossian Ellis)
- Other COMMISSIONED COMPOSITIONS Pieces written for Gabriella Dall’Olio, all premiered (or recorded) in concerts in the presence of the composer Tim Jackson, Be not Afeard, for solo harp or harp and any combination of instruments up to Septet, and also harp and orchestra. Premiered at TL in 2009 in presence of the composer as solo and septet version. Premiered as Concerto in 2015 in St Alfege, Greenwich, with St Paul Sinfonia and Andrew Morley, Conductor, and recorded on CD in 2020. Chiara Benati, Perga for harp and string quartet, premiered at Sound News in Canterbury, in 2010. David Knotts, Entice The Dewy-Feathered Sleep (solo harp) Alasdair Nicolson, Nod (solo harp) premiered with the composer present at the opening of the Sleeping Ward at Old Brompton Hospital, March 2011. James McMillan Knockroon Waltz (Boosey&Hawkes) (solo harp) premiered with the composer present at Cumnock Festival, October 2014. Paul Lewis, Postcards From Paris (solo harp) Postcards from Bologna, trio for violin, cello and harp Alexander Thomas, Folie a Deux..mains (solo harp) Christopher Caine Powder Monkey for flute and harp, dedicated to Anna Noakes and Gabriella Dall’Olio, premiered in the composer’s presence at the Cutty Sark, November 2015. Amir Mayar Tafreshipour, Lucid Dream for violin cello and harp and helped rework the solo part of the harp Concerto Persian Echoes. Harp part co-reworked with from the original version. Recorded in presence of the composer.
- Other Other Guest harpist principal or co-Principal with Orchestras since 1987 Regular work as principal or co-principal harp over years – some nearly 20- with: Chamber Orchestra of Europe, Symphonie Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks, SWR Symphonie Orchester, Orchestra da Camera di Padova e del Veneto, London Philharmonic Orchestra, Berliner Philharmoniker, Wiener Philharmonikern, Wiener Staatsoper, Oslo Philharmonic, BBC Symphony Orchestra, BBC Concert Orchestra, BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Orchestra Filarmonica di Torino, Royal Opera House, Royal Ballet, The Philharmonia, London Symphony Orchestra, Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, English Chamber Orchestra, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Ensemble International de Paris, City of London Sinfonia, RTE Concert Orchestra, Nürenberg Opera, Nürenberg Symphonikern and many others. Conductors worked with include: Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Sir Simon Rattle, Mariss Janssen, Claudio Abbado, Lorin Maazel, Daniel Barenboim, Christian Thielemann, Robin Ticciati, Zubin Mehta, Sir Colin Davis, Michael Gielen, Sir Andrew Davis, Immanuel Krivine, Daniele Gatti, Stephen Layton, Esa Pekka Salonen, Valery Gergiev, Yan Pascal Tortelier, Sejei Osawa, George Pretre, Leonard Slatkin, Giuseppe Sinopoli, Antonio Pappano, Bernard Haitink, Oliver Knussen, Martin Brabbins, Kurt Mazur, Tan Dun, David Robertson, Jeffrey Tate, Semion Bichkov.
- Other John Marson, Prelude Song and Dance, for solo harp with accompaniment of five ripieno harps. Edited and corrected from the manuscript by Gabriella Dall’Olio. Edited by Alaw Plublishing Score
- Other Press cuttings and reviews and CD awards include: Gabriella Dall’Olio Press review on solo Recital in Italy on 18/1/2005: And the harp discovers a swing (a great success for the soloist from Bologna). The harp is a popular instrument, and at its best when unaccompanied….. Classical and Modern composers alike- and especially in the 20th and 21st Century- have proved Rimsky Korsakov wrong, when he expressed that the future of the harp lied in accompanying other instruments or voices. We had the proof of this during the evocative recital of Gabriella Dall’Olio…. This recital has shown the great musical flair of Dall’Olio, the clear and inspired playing of an instrument that has nothing to envy to others in variety of tone and charme. The Italian artist went from the classical structure of a CPE Bach Sonata to the “light and shadow” constrasts of Spohr’s Fantasy; from the bucolic flavour of Glinka Nocturne to the virtuosity of Godefroid’ etude de Concert. There are also works which use different techniques and effects, such as the rare Suite by B.Britten, suspended between jazz and swing fragments in the overture and the placid calmness of Hymn, and in Ginastera, where south american rhythms come alive in the prelude, heavenly sounds in the aria and wild insects scattering about in the toccata. …Gabriella Dall’Olio shows herself to be an exceptional performer in her varied styles, displaying a rare virtuosity and warm and subtle phrasing, as in the beautiful Sarabanda and Toccata by Rota, or in the exciting rythms of Viejo Zortzico by the Spanish composer Guridi. ….. At the end of the concert (and 4 encores!) the enthusiastic audience stayed long afterwards to congratulate Gabriella in person.
- Performance Performance Concerts and concert Tour with Yannick Zénet-Séguin, with EU Premiere of Abrahamsen Vers Le Silence – rehearsals with composer and TV and Radio recordings- and Other works with harp (Heldenleben, Strauss) 5-14 may 2022 https://www.br-klassik.de/programm/radio/ausstrahlung-2800614.html