Prof. Dominic Murcott
Research, Scholarship and Creative PracticeOther ActivitiesResearch CV
Other Scholarly outputs
- Catalogue Warped Apple, White Cube: The London Sinfonietta and popular culture 1968-2018. Essay commissioned by the London Sinfonietta for their 50th Anniversary Reader.
- Other Piano Phase/Purple Haze: popular culture meets classical music in the 1960s. Public lecture
as part of the Southbank Centre's Rest Is Noise festival.
- Other Discussion and performance of Nancarrow’s Piece for Tape, Panelist as part of Nancarrow at
100: A Centennial Celebration UC Berkeley, US
- Festival Featured composer at Other Minds Festival 26, San Fransisco, October 2022. The Harmonic Canon received its US premier and also was the director and performer in the US premier of Charles Amirkhanian's Ratchet Attach It.
- Performance Ensemble director and performer of first performance of Charles Amirkhanian's 'Ratchett Attach It'. Spitalfields Festival, London.
- Other Instigator and conceptual originator for The Batik Instrument, an audio/visual compositional tool commissioned by Singapore Airlines for their latest sonic identity. Final versions created in collaboration with John Lely, Rohan De Livera and sonic branding company dlmdd. Awards for the project include a Creative Moment Award 2021.
- Other 1,3,5,7 Improvised Duos, a 16 track album released on nonclassical (nonclss032) featuring Dominic Murcott on drums and percussion with guests Laura Jurd, Tom Challenger, Hans Koller, Joe Townsend
- Performance The Ultimate Taste Test. A public event explorting the relationship between taste in music and taste in food. Co-presented with Heston Blumenthal and featuring The Smith Quartet playing my arrangements and new fragments of music at The British Library.
- Performance Solar Wind Experiment, for Theremin, Twelve Voices and Recorded Voices. Commissioned by the National Maritime Museum as part of the Moon exhibition. First performance by Lydia Kavina and the Chapel Choir of the Old Royal Naval College.
- Performance Dear Sister, for 8-80 cellos plus narrator. Text based on letters of a storekeeper held in the Caird Library, National Maritime Museum. Premier at National Maritime museum. Commissioned by London Cello Society. Recorded by London Chamber Orchestra for pending release.
- Performance Lullaby for a Tired Alien, for actor and string orchestra. Music by Dominic Murcott and text by Jonathan Broadbent and Dominic Murcott. Commissioned by Junior Trinity and premiered at Cadogan Hall in July 2017.
- Score The Harmonic Canon, for percussion duo playing custom built bell and auxiliary metal percussion. Premiered by US/Japan players ‘arx duo’ at Huddersfield Contemporary Music Festival 2017 released on the nonclassical label in 2019 (nonclass029). Supported by Arts Council England, PRS For Music Foundation and the Hinrichsen Foundation. WINNING PIECE FOR THE 2018 BASCA BRITISH COMPOSER AWARD FOR SOLO OR DUO WORK
- Performance Presentation of Complete Player Piano Studies, Mechánica Nancarrow, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM), Mexico City
- Performance Conlon Nancarrow’s Player Piano, presentation at Haus der Kulturen der Welt, Berlin as part of the Free! Music festival.
- Performance Kombu Go, for singer, pianist and five unusual tastes. Commissioned by London Ear Festival, March 2016
- Performance Dominic Murcott plays Conlon Nancarrow, a multi-media presentation at the Whitechapel Gallery as part of the Music for Museums series.
- Score Dichte/Skitzen. Two experimental pieces for player piano, one in collaboration with visual artist Carol Wyss. Premiered at The Whitechapel Gallery as part of the Music in Museums series, November 2015
- Festival Co-curator (with Jay Sanders) Anywhere in Time: A Conlon Nancarrow Festival, Whitney Museum of American Art, NY. Role has been to devise the festival structure, propose participants, and to write 7,000 words of text for a brochure that will become part of the museum's archive. Other roles include presenting daily lecture/recital events at the museum throughout the 10 day event.
- Score Arrangement of Nancarrow’s Study #36 for sixteen players and four computerised conductors, commissioned by the Whitney Museum of American Art premiered by Alarm Will Sound t the Whitney Museum, NY
- Performance Presentation of Nancarrow Player Piano Studies by Nancarrow, London Contemporary Music Festival.
- Other Co-producer, recording and mix engineer Acrobats by Laura Moody, Surbiton Lagoon Records (UK)
- Performance Nancarrow’s Studio A presentation of Nancarrow’s Player Piano Studies on an authentic instrument from a recreation of the composer’s Mexico City studio. Part of the Southbank Centre’s Rest Is Noise festival.
- Festival Instigator and artistic advisor Impossible Brilliance: The Music of Conlon Nancarrow, Southbank Centre plus director of accompanying academic conference Nancarrow In The Twentieth Century. Conceived and curated events, wrote extensive text for programme.
- Score Arrangement of Nancarrow’s Study #21 commissioned by the London Sinfonietta. Premiered at the Southbank QEH
- Performance Extreme Karaoke – an interactive electronic installation/performance with audience participation, commissioned by the Royal Opera House 2, Voices Across the World Festival curated by Orlando Gough
- Score Armed Response Unit – composition for solo percussion and electronics to accompany
Piece for Tape below. Premiered at the Cheltenham Festival published by Schott
- Score Piece for Tape – arrangment of Conlon Nancarrow’s “Piece for Tape”.
Commissioned by Joby Burgess/Powerplant. Premiered at the Cheltenham Festival published by Schott
- Score The Hangman Frames – film/computer piece for trumpeter Noel Langley with film by Richard Coldman, commission by Voices III festival, Plymouth
- Other The Bipolar Shuffle – a remix of John Matthias and Nick Ryan’s album Cortical Songs, nonclassical records, UK
- Performance The No Orchestra vs Scopac – series of multi-media compositions for Battersea Arts Centre with video artist Rob Flint
- Performance Soundtrack for V-Tol Dance Co international touring production By Force of Fantasy
- Performance Soundtrack for V-Tol Dance Co international touring production 32 Feet Per Second Per Second
- Performance Music for performance art group Blast Theory show Gunmen Kill 3
- Performance Soundtrack for V-Tol Dance Co international touring production Headshot
- Performance Live percussion score for V-Tol Dance Co production Crash and Burn as part of the first Dance Workshop Europe touring production