Mr A J Dunn
Journal Articles:No data
Other Scholarly outputs
- No data provided
- No data provided
Dunn, AJ; Research and Professional practice,
Curriculum Vitae for Trinity Laban Research portal.
• Royal Northern College of Music (trumpet specialist invitation 2015)
• Boulez Academy of Mahler Chamber Orchestra
• Yamaha European Foundation Scholarship finals; Jury member 2014 (Brass and Wind), 2017
(Clarinet), 2019 (Trumpet).
Doctoral examination panel member:
• McGill University pro Dean
• Composition writing for Wind band, doctoral defense committee
• Trombone design and boutique instruments flexibility in performance doctoral research
• Spectromorphology; textures in sound doctoral committee
Research and Knowledge Transfer:
• PhD Candidate Open University STEM faculty 2019- present
Funding applications and Academic research:
• SSHRC Field Study Grant: Field study and joint performance project with Schulich School of
Music-McGill University and Royal Northern College of Music.
• Performing North American premiers, and collaborating in pedagogical exchange and ideas
including recording. I have had many grant projects as a co-signer with the research area at
• 2014-Current; Trinity Laban to fulfill extensive departmental duties; tDAP application for TL,
MMus and BMus revalidation.
• Mahlowe Lelonek Scholarship; for a deserving Brass student identified as from a minority or
• Working group securing the Wolfson grant for the Percussion suite refurbishment at Trinity
Knowledge Transfer and Professional Practice
Publications as a professional musician
Recordings with Symphony Orchestra:
• BBC Symphony Orchestra RVW Symphonia Antartica No7 and Symphony No 9, March 2022
• M Karlowicz, BBC Philharmonic,Yan Pascal Tortelier,Chandos 9986, Principal trumpet
• LODEWIJK MORTELMANS:Homerische symfonie; Morgenstemming; Mythe der lente –Royal
Flemish Philharmonic /Martyn Brabbins –Hyperion CDA67766, Principal trumpet
• Robert Saxton – The Wandering Jew Roderick Williams, soloist, BBC Symphony Orchestra,
André de Ridder, Conductor CatalogueNo:NMC D170, Principal trumpet
trumpets on natural trumpet
Premiers and Discography Examples:
• BBC Symphony Vaughan Williams, R Symphonies 7&9 March 2022, Brabbins.
• BBC Symphony Orchestra, Roman Maciejewski’s Requiem, Principal Trumpet
• Sir Peter Maxwell Davies, Brass ensemble music, MaxOpus, Principal Trumpet.
• London Mozart Players, Contemporaries of Mozart, KH Richter symphonies Chandos Records
MBamert, Principal trumpet
• BBC Philharmonic, Karlowicz,YP Tortelier, Chandos Principal Trumpet,
• Royal Flemish Philharmonic, Mortelmans Brabbins Hyperion, Principal Trumpet
• London Mozart Players Brass Ensemble, Hodie Glorioso
• BBC Symphony Orchestra, Stravinsky Symphony of Psalms, BBC Magazine and Radio 3.
• BBC Symphony Orchestra: S Montague Piano Concerto; Obligato Solo trumpet, BBC radio 3
• BBC Philharmonic Mahler Symphony No 6, Charles McKerras, Chandos
• Chamber Orchestra of Europe, Schumann and Mendelssohn piano concertos, A Schiff
Principal Trumpet European radio broadcast Medici TV.
• BBC Philharmonic, James McMillan recordings of new commissions, Principal trumpet
• BBC Symphony, Thomas Ade’s Asyla London.
• BBC Symphony Orchestra Mahler 2 B Haitink BBC Proms
• London Philharmonic Orchestra, Adeamus
Live Radio Broadcast examples;
• BBC SO BBC Proms 1993 to 2022
• BBCSO Symphonie Fantastique March 2022 1st Cornet
• Orchestre Symphonique De Montreal, Mahler “Resurrection Symphony” Solo Trumpet Banda.
• Chamber Orchestra of Europe, Haitink Jan 2011 & Feb 2012.Beethoven cycle.
• Montreal Symphony Orchestra, Concours vocal
• Mahler Chamber Orchestra: Eichberg,Endorphin; world premiere also CD.
• GF Handel, Fireworks music; Ton Koopman, live from Cologne WDR Deutschland, Principal
• Berg Lulu, complete version Premiere, Daniel Gatti, Theatre Wien, Mahler Chamber, Principal
• Shostakovich Symphony No 1, Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Principal Trumpet
• Henry Wood Promenade concerts, since 1993.
External and Internal Academic Leadership and Evidence of Academic Standing
Visiting Professor–‐ Master classes and Performance classes
• Royal Academy of Music, London
• Royal Danish Aarhus Academy
• Hong Kong Academy of Performing Arts
• National Academy of Fine Arts, Singapore
• Western University, Ontario
• University of Toronto
• Conservatoire Val D’or, Quebec.
• McGill Wind Symphony, L Bitensky, “Awake You Sleepers”) Canadian premiere
• Mahler Chamber Orchestra, Shostakovich Piano Concerto No 1
• London Philharmonic Youth Orchestra, J Haydn Concerto
• Royal Academy Symphony Orchestra, A Arutjunjan
• Orchestra of St Johns, Vivaldi/Purcell/Clarke
• Mozart Festival Orchestra, Handel/Vivaldi
• Various recitals and master classes.
• Québec Brass Ensemble 2010-2014 (Artistic Director)
• English Brass
• Fine Arts Brass Ensemble
• Hallé Brass
• Capricorn Ensemble
Professional Practice- Orchestral Guest/Trialist*
• BBC Symphony Orchestra London (Principal)*
• Orchestre Symphonique De Montréal.
• Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra* (Solo Trumpet)
• Royal Flemish Philharmonic* (Solo Trumpet)
• BBC Philharmonic* (Associate Principal Trumpet)
• London Philharmonic* (Utility)
• Royal Philharmonic Orchestra* (Principal)
• BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra* (Co Principal)
• City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra* (Section Leader)
• Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra* (Section)
• English National Opera* (Section)
• Chamber Orchestra of Europe (Guest Principal)
• London Mozart Players (Principal)
• Orchestra of St Johns (Principal)
• Singapore Symphony (Guest Principal)
• Northern Sinfonia (Guest Principal)
• Bergen Philharmonic (Guest Principal)
• Mahler Chamber Orchestra (Guest Principal)
• The Philharmonia
• Tronheim Symphony Orchestra
• Oslo Philharmonic
• Hong Kong Philharmonic
• BBC National Orchestra of Wales
• Norwegian Chamber Orchestra
Publications and Conference presentations:
• Invitation to write a chapter for the AHRC project, “The Orchestra, a Global Perspective” Dunn
AJ, (2014),”The Symphony Orchestra; Hybrids, Hierarchy and Harmony”, presented at the Arts
and Humanities Research Council conference, Centre for Creative practice as research,
University of London, March 2014.
• Dunn AJ (2006), Performance Anxiety- power point presentation and paper;
Outlining the biofeedback loops of performance and how we interpret them, how we
can better understand this and develop mechanisms of dealing with performance
anxiety and how to use the feedback to aid performance, Performance and Health,
Thames Valley University,
• Dunn AJ, (2007) Focal Task Dystonia, Literature review, Thames Valley University.
Research and collate current diagnoses, theories and information on the causes and
preventative measures of FTD. Outlining what the presentations of the illness are and
how correction of habits will help prevent onset.
• Dunn AJ, (2007) Social change in competing Brass music: Thames Valley University, How
historical tradition and competitive music making has changed over the last one and a half
centuries. How music education and the educators have developed and how the competitive
aspects of performance are changing.
• Professional pathways,
• Arts Organizational behavior,
• De-myelination of Neural paths.
• Recording concerti of English composers
• Closed-End Wind instruments, PhD STEM faculty.
Music Education workshops:
• Create Music, working with vulnerable adults and children involving learning differences,
excluded pupils and offenders.2001-2004
• Trumpet connections master class, given in various Universities and Higher education settings
• Mentoring Brass bands, conducting and solo repertoire of the cornet, Redbridge band 2022
• Brass Academy 2021 and 2022
• Interlochen, USA
• Rice University- Shepard School of Music, USA
• University of Texas Austin, USA
• Mahler Orchestra Academy, Europe
• Amsterdam Conservatoire, Netherlands
• Purchase College SUNY, USA
• Koln University of Music and Dance, Germany
• Singapore Conservatoire
• Hong Kong Academy of Performing Arts
• McGill University, Canada
• National Academy of Fine Arts Singapore
• Hannover Hochschule, Germany
• Freiburg Hochschule, Germany
• Essen Hochschule, Germany
• Ensemble Musik Fabrik, Germany
• Royal Danish Academy of Music, Denmark
• University of Toronto, Canada