Dr Michelle Meinhart
Journal Articles:No data
Other Scholarly outputs
- Book chapter “Tommy Music Critics, an Unlikely Community, and The Longleat Lyre During World War I.” In Over Here, Over There: Transatlantic Conversations on the Music of World War I, ed. Christina Bashford, William Brooks, and Gayle Sherwood Magee. Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 2019.
- Book chapter “Introduction: Negotiating the ‘Great Divide’ of the First World War through Music.” In A Great Divide or a Long Nineteenth Century: Music, Britain and the First World War, ed. Michelle Meinhart, Routledge, forthcoming 2022.
- Book chapter “Music, Work, and Wartime ‘Angel in the House.’” In A Great Divide or a Long Nineteenth Century: Music, Britain and the First World War, ed. Michelle Meinhart, Routledge, forthcoming 2022.
- Book chapter “A ‘Cosy Corner Chat’ about Opera: Fashioning New Femininities in The Gentlewoman and The Lady Magazines, 1885-1914.” In Opera and Print Culture in Nineteenth-Century Britain, ed. Alison Mero and Christina Fuhrmann. Clemson: Clemson University Press, University of Liverpool Press, 2022.
- Book chapter “Variations on the Grand Tour: Musical Seduction and Catholic Communion in the Mid-Nineteenth-Century Italian Travel Diaries of Lady Anne Noel Blunt.” In Perplext in Faith: Essays on Victorian Beliefs and Doubts, ed. Alisa Clapp-Itnyre and Julie Melnyk, 168-207. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars, 2015.
- Book Edited volume: A Great Divide: Music, Britain and the First World War, Routledge, 2022.
- Other Review of Lateness and Modernism: Untimely Ideas about Music, Literature and Politics in Interwar Britain by Sarah Collins. Context: Journal of Music Research 46 (2020): 113-117.
- Other Review of Singing in the Age of Anxiety: Lieder Performances in New York and London Between the World Wars by Laura Tunbridge. Notes (Dec. 2019).
- Other Review of The Show Must Go On! Popular Song in Britain During the First World War by John Mullen. Nineteenth-Century Music Review (Dec. 2016): 1-4.
- Other Review of Music and Performance Culture in Nineteenth-Century Britain: Essays in Honour of Nicholas Temperley, edited by Bennett Zon. Notes 70/1 (Sept. 2013): 96.
- Other Co-Edited Journal Issue: Women and Music: A Journal of Gender and Culture, special issue, ‘Soundscapes of Maternity’, eds. Erin Johnson-Williams and Michelle Meinhart, 2023.
- Other Co-edited Journal Issue: Nineteenth-Century Music Review special issue, “Music and Trauma in the Long Nineteenth Century,” eds. Michelle Meinhart and Jillian Rogers, 2022.
- No data provided
Conference Papers Presented (last five years):
Contractions, Cries, and COVID: The Traumatic Soundscapes of UK Lockdown Hospital Maternity Wards,” Annual Meeting of the American Musicological Society, Virtual, 20 November 2021.
“Sonic Memories in Narratives of Death and Loss in First World War Britain’. Music, Mortality and Ritual Symposium, Centre for Life and Death Studies, Durham University, 15 May 2021.
“Music, Trauma Testimonies, and Gender in First World War Britain.” Royal Musical Association, 55th Annual Conference. Royal Northern College of Music/ Manchester University, 11-13 Sept. 2019.
“Music, Trauma Therapy, and the First World War.” Soundscapes of Trauma conference. Athens, Greece, 23-25 May 2019.
“Music, Trauma Testimonies, and Gender in First World War Britain.” Militaries and Militarization: The Turn to Resilience Conference. Danish Institute for International Studies, Copenhagen, 13-14 December 2018.
“Visceral Soundscapes and Shell Shock at Edinburgh’s Craiglockhart War Hospital During the First World War.” Annual Meeting of the American Musicological Society. San Antonio, Texas, 1-4 November 2018.
“’Unearthly Music’, ‘Howling Idiots’ and ‘Orgies of Amusement’: Visceral Soundscapes and Shell Shock at Edinburgh’s Craiglockhart War Hospital During the First World War.” Trauma Studies in the Medical Humanities: New Directions for Research, Durham University, 12-14 April 2018.
“Musical Memorials to the First World War.” Care after the First World War Conference. University of Leeds, 9-11 April 2018.
“Hospital Magazines, Transnational Communities, and Music Therapy on the British Home Front During the First World War.” 54th Royal Musical Association Annual Conference, University of Liverpool, 7-9 September 2017.
“Music and Trauma in The Hydra, Journal of the Craiglockhart War Hospital, Edinburgh, 1916-8.” Annual Plenary Conference of the Society of Musicology in Ireland, Queen’s University, Belfast, 16-18 June 2017.
“Ladies Wartime Work and the Victorian Musical Philanthropic Tradition, 1914-1918.” Moralities in the Long Nineteenth Century, Centre for Nineteenth-Century Studies, Durham University, 18 February 2017.
“Unlikely Musical Exchanges in the Wartime English Country House, 1914-1919.” Annual Meeting of the American Musicological Society, Vancouver, Canada, 6-9 November 2016.
“Music and Women’s Material Memorials of the First World War in the English Country House.” Women’s Material Cultures/ Women’s Material Environments: Women’s History Network Annual Conference. Leeds Trinity University, 6-17 September 2016.